Re: Change encoding used to display strings?

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Change encoding used to display strings?
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:42:31 +0200

Steven Leffler wrote:

I am having trouble figuring out how to change the encoding used to display strings. I am using Octave 3.2.0 on Windows XP, and it seems to use the antique US-DOS character encoding. I’m reading strings from a file, which uses a different character encoding, and would like these to be displayed correctly. How do I change the encoding Octave uses to display strings? NB: this is not multibyte Unicode; the encoding is 8-bit.

For example in most modern 8-bit Western encodings, the degree symbol is at 0xB0. Octave instead displays the DOS “light shade” graphical character. How do I fix this?

Your win32 console is probably running Windows codepage CP850 or IBM-437 and Octave is outputting in some other codepage. You can try changing the console to CP1251 (a bastard version of ISO-8859-1) or whatever your file is encoded in.

I don't run Windows, so I can't produce detailed instructions, but I found others with similar problems:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=329433

David