Re: how to improve sequence plotting speed (to get more fluent animation

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: how to improve sequence plotting speed (to get more fluent animation)?
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:27:59 +0200

Am Sonntag, 4. April 2010 14:56:41 schrieb Martin Helm:
> The main difference between your perl script and what octave does is simply
> that you send a plot command per graph you want to plot to gnuplot via the
> pipe with perl, but octave calculates the points and sends much more raw
> information over the pipe.

I am sorry, I do not really know why I misinterpreted your perl script that
much, maybe I am blind or it is because it is easter weekend. What I wrote
here is of course nonsense.

Nethertheless I would check what happens if you send exactly the same data via
perl to gnuplot as octave produces it - just to see the effect.

Meanwhile I tested on an old sandbox machine (1 GHz, 512 MB Ram) with opensuse
11.2 your script

Linux linux-slmv 2.6.31.12-0.2-default #1 SMP 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux
gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 5
GNU Octave, version 3.2.4
Octave was configured for "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
(octave installed from packman repositiry)

and your original octave script. Even with that old machine and wxt as
terminal, the animation looks fluent, can something be screwed in your
environment?

- mh