Re: Slow sqp execution in Ubuntu compared to Win7?

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Slow sqp execution in Ubuntu compared to Win7?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:19:14 +0200

 Am Freitag, 2. April 2010 17:38:14 schrieb Tottish:
 > I've set a tic-toc timer to measure the execution speed and on my AMD
 > Sempron 3600+ running Win7 64bit I get execution speeds of about 0.08
 > seconds while I get around 0.25 seconds on a dualcore atom motherboard
 > running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit.

One additional thing to keep in mind is that the atom cpu's are made for low
power consumption and not optimized for performance in scientific computing.
So I simply think an atom cannot compete with a sempron, but I do not know
about  concrete benchmarks for that.
The second thing is that you will not have any benefit from the dual core as
long as you do not use explicit parallelization in your script to make use of
the two processor cores. So it is very likely that you only used one of the
cores.
I don't think it is a 32 vs 64 bit issue.

- mh