Slow sqp execution in Ubuntu compared to Win7?

From: Tottish
Subject: Slow sqp execution in Ubuntu compared to Win7?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 07:38:14 -0800 (PST)

Hello!
I'm pretty new to Octave but I've managed to write an algorithm for a
nonlinear optimization problem that I have using the sqp-function. It's
working great but after I went over to a Linux machine the execution speed
was considerably lower which seems odd to me. I'm sure I've missed something
so please correct me.

I've set a tic-toc timer to measure the execution speed and on my AMD
Sempron 3600+ running Win7 64bit I get execution speeds of about 0.08
seconds while I get around 0.25 seconds on a dualcore atom motherboard
running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit.
Granted, the dualcore processor most likely doesn't use it's full potential
in the 32-bit environment and yes it is a bit slower but still, doesn't this
seem a little off?

My guess was that Linux was a more suitable environment for fast responses
and would produce a similar or shorter execution time but I am just starting
out with Linux so I don't actually know much about that.

Could someone shine a little light on this?
Thanks for a great application!
/Tottish