Re: mex function online help text

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mex function online help text
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:06:15 -0400

On  1-Apr-2010, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

| On 03/31/2010 03:23 PM, Dan McMahill wrote:
| > Hello,
| >
| > I'm using octave-3.2.4.  I have a compiled mex function which has been
| > installed to:
| > ${prefix}/libexec/octave/3.2.4/site/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/wcalc-1.1/
| > bars_calc.mex
| >
| > It works.  When I run octave, bars_calc() is available as a function
| > and does what I expect.
| >
| > However, the online help does not  work.
| >
| > octave-3.2.4:1>  help bars_calc
| > error: help: `bars_calc' is not documented
| >
| > yet I do have this file installed:
| > ${prefix}/libexec/octave/3.2.4/site/m/wcalc-1.1/bars_calc.m
|
| I think that if you have a .m file and an .oct file, Octave
| just reads the .oct file and doesn't touch .m. You seem to believe
| that the doc subsystem reads the .m files anyway---maybe I missed
| something but I didn't think that's how it works. Octave's own
| functions include the documentation via the DEFUN_DLD macro:
|
| DEFUN_DLD (issparse, args, ,
|    "-*- texinfo -*-\n\
| @deftypefn {Loadable Function} {} issparse (@var{expr})\n\
| Return 1 if the value of the expression @var{expr} is a sparse matrix.\n\
| @end deftypefn")

MEX files don't have embedded doc strings.  If a .mex file and a .m
file with the same base name are present, then Octave should look for
the doc string in the .m file.  I thought this was working, but it
looks like it is not.  Please report the bug here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

Thanks,

jwe