octave and gnuplot fonts

From: Petr Korviny
Subject: octave and gnuplot fonts
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 04:10:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
can anybody help me with problems viewed on this image:

http://n4.nabble.com/file/n1747986/octave_gnuplot_fonts.png

1) I made script to generate graphs with "subplot" command and change font
and font size

I found out that these two commands works quite well, axes fonts are changed
with them
  set (0, "defaultaxesfontname", "Misc-Fixed")
  set (0, "defaultaxesfontsize", 10)

These two commands does nothing, in my opinion. Nothing changed if I use it
or not.
  set (0, "defaulttextfontname", "Misc-Fixed")
  set (0, "defaulttextfontsize", 10)

Is defaulttextfontname and defaulttextfontsize supported in Octave (version
3.2.2)?

2) I don't know how to change font type and font size of labels for lines in
graph, these fonts are too big. Is there some special command to change
these labeles?

3) The last problem on that picture is, that label for x-axis of upper graph
covers title of lower graph. I made it with subplot command
    subplot(2,1,1)
    subplot(2,1,2)
and then print as PNG with
    eval(sprintf("print -dpng %s.png '-S600,600'", myfile));

Does anybody know, how to insert some space between two graphs in subplot
command?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
Petr