Re: Reading CSV data and preserving empty cells?

From: forkandwait
Subject: Re: Reading CSV data and preserving empty cells?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 01:06:45 +0000 (UTC)

> Didn't you already ask this?
>
>      http://n4.nabble.com/Alternative-missing-values-in-readcsv-
td1632243.html#a1632243

> Or were you unsatisfied with the response given there? If so, why?

Yes, I was unsatisfied, because of the problems with textread I spoke about in
the latest email (I don't want to write a format string for 250 columns, over
and over again as I download multiple data sets).  Also, the sed solution
doesn't work, nor can I think of a unix text based solution that will scale to
lots and lots of columns.

cell2csv works brilliantly, except for putting a blank in where I want NaN,
partly because of the weird fact that cell array strings that parse as numbers
are useable in arithmetic expressions like so:

x = {1}
x{1} + 1
ans =  2

I thought cellidx would work, looking for empty strings with '' and reassigning
with NaN, but for some reason it craps out on my data.  The problem  was a type
error which fired when I tried to use cellidx on this data, mixing numerics
with ''.  I don't have a reproducible example of this surprising error, so it
will have to wait.

I was sort of hoping that someone had figured out something in the meantime ...

I don't know how to modify the csv2cell in the octave-forge miscellaneous
package, since my local copy is an "oct" file, would need to be recompiled,
etc.  If there is a quick guide to fiddling with oct files, I would be
interested in a link, but I am not sure I have enough time to deal with it in
the next few months.

I will post my solution as I come up with one.