Re: Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) file format support

From: Guido Walter Pettinari
Subject: Re: Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) file format support
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:27:39 +0000

Hi Søren,

I think you are right again. I compiled MFITSIO with Matlab R2008B and the
latest version of CFITSIO 3, and I obtain exactly the same error message:

>> data = fits_read_image ('cl_out.fits')
12 An error occurred: 320
??? Error using ==> fits_read_image
Could not close file.
Error in ==> fits_read at 21
IMAGE = fits_read_image(filename);

By the way, I was wrong in my last e-mail: after running fits_read_image, I do
not get any output, not even an unusable image. This is true for both Matlab
and Octave. I have sent an e-mail to Damian Eads
(http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~eads/index.shtml), the developer of MFITSIO, asking
him if he plans to update MFITSIO.

At a later stage, when I will have more familiarity with FITS file, I may be
interested in developing an Octave Forge package to support them. It would be a
wrapper to CFITSIO v3. Is it possible to write it using MEX API instead of
Octave's? With MEX's it could be an easier task since I could re-use some code
from MFITSIO.

Cheers,

Guido