Re: Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) file format support

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) file format support
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:10:06 -0400

On 27-Mar-2010, S ren Hauberg wrote:

| l r, 27 03 2010 kl. 15:57 -0800, skrev coccoinomane:
|
| > In Matlab this is achieved via the open-source project
| > http://public.lanl.gov/eads/mfitsio/ MFITSIO . This project makes use of

| P.S. I don't recognise the license used. Does anybody know if it is GPL
| compatible?

IANAL, but the terms listed here

  http://public.lanl.gov/eads/mfitsio/license.shtml

appear to me to be compatible with the GPL provided that the "without
charge" clause means that you don't have to pay the authors of the
software in order to redistribute.  If that clause means that you
aren't allowed to charge a fee for creating a binary distribution of
the software (for example), then I think that the license would be
incompatible with the GPL, because that would be an extra condition
beyond those imposed by the GPL.  The other terms (copyright notices
can't be removed, no warranty, and clearly marking modified versions)
are all also requirements of the GPL.

jwe