Re: Cannot use ldegree() on symbolic expressions with non-integer expone

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Cannot use ldegree() on symbolic expressions with non-integer exponents
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:04:05 +0100

Am Samstag, 27. März 2010 17:23:23 schrieb Jason Lewis:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It appears that ^ doesn't like 'int32' as an argument, and so it
> produces an error.
>
> I've run into this problem while trying to have octave solve a system
> of symbolic equations to model the output of an electronic circuit
> (something I used to do with Matlab). I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm
> willing to concede that I may be the problem.
>
>  - J

What about using a CAS for this. The reason I do not use the symbolic package
is simply that I use a full CAS (in my case maxima) whenever I need to do
symbolic calculations. Numerical computations are of course much slower in
maxima, but it depends on the rest of what you do if this will be a problem or
not.

Nevertheless you should post your question on the octave forge mailing list
(it is a problem with a package from octave forge not an octave problem).
Maybe the solution is absolutely trivial and I simply do not know it.

Seems there are not many people hanging around here using this package.

Btw one last shoot in the dark, does it accept something like
y = sym("x^2 + 9") ?

- mh