Re: Building octave on cluster

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Building octave on cluster
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:20:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 3/25/10, Thomas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Thomas Weber <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Building octave on cluster
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Henrik Sjödin" <address@hidden>, "Carlo de Falco" <address@hidden>,
> "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 3:03 PM
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 01:09:21PM
> -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> >

> > --- On Thu, 3/25/10, Carlo de Falco <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > why not
> > >
> > > apt-get install octave3.2
> > >
> > > ?
> > > c.
> >

> > Because of (not) perfectly tuned ATLAS ?
>
> Octave in Debian is built against the reference BLAS and
> LAPACK. Getting
> your very own compiled ATLAS into the loop just means
> dropping a file in
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and running ldconfig.
>
>     Thomas

Even though I have root access to my own machine I would _never_ do this.

This is because your assumption is that self-compiled ATLAS is good and
you can safely change things globally.

I know that things are screwed up everywhere by everyone, so I prefer _not_
to change anything at system level.

I compile and install 'octave' and all it needs in places of my choosing
not using 'root' access.

Regards,
  Sergei.