Re: assign file load to var in octave 3.2

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: assign file load to var in octave 3.2
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:30:28 +0100

Nuno Lopes wrote:
Hello all,

I have a generated set of files with matrixes (from benchmark times) that I
want to load into a variable in octave.

In the script I was using to crunch the numbers (seems to still work in octave
3.0) I used the following instruction:

var = load -text -;

But in octave 3.2 (which is the version I have installed in the machine I'm
working) I get a parse error. My guess is that the syntax has changed somehow
but I cannot find any info on the web. Can somebody give me some pointers on
how to fix this?

Thanks a lot
--
Nuno Lopes

From the NEWS file:

** Parsing of Command-style Functions.

Octave now parses command-style functions without needing to first
declare them with "mark_as_command". The rules for recognizing a
command-style function calls are

* A command must appear as the first word in a statement,
followed by a space.

* The first character after the space must not be '=' or '('

* The next token after the space must not look like a binary
operator.

These rules should be mostly compatible with the way Matlab parses
command-style function calls and allow users to define commands in
.m files without having to mark them as commands.

Note that previous versions of Octave allowed expressions like

x = load -text foo.dat

but an expression like this will now generate a parse error. In
order to assign the value returned by a function to a variable,
you must use the normal function call syntax:

x = load ("-text", "foo.dat");

hth,
David