gnuplot functionallity in octave

From: tlange
Subject: gnuplot functionallity in octave
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:27:52 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

I just gave a colleague of mine a printed German Gnuplot tutorial
(prepared by the computer center of Hannover, Germany). Actually he is
working with a variety of lab devices. So he's dealing with many kinds of
ascii data and has to create publication-ready plots.

I suggested him to use Octave because it might be more comfortable when it
comes to data manipulation or some calculations. Although he was very
interested, he was unsure about my suggestion since his English is not
that good.

My question: Since until now I have not created plots for publishing
through Octave is it in general possible to access all the functionallity
of gnuplot via Octave? And, will the German Gnuplot manual still be
helpfull for him?

Thank you for your advice,
Torsten