Re: Getting number of files in a folder

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Getting number of files in a folder
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:27:27 -0500

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Journeaux, Ian wrote:
>> I would like to get the number of files in a folder (The files are of the
>> form file0001.txt) so I can loop through each one of the files.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this within Octave?
>> This electronic message contains information from NewPage Corporation or
>> subsidiary companies,
>> which may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from
>> disclosure. The information is
>> intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named. If you are not an
>> intended recipient, be
>> aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
>> transmission or its
>> contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
>> please notify NewPage
>> immediately at address@hidden
>>
> There are probably lots of ways of doing it but
>
> length (dir()) - 2
>
> should be a good means. The minus 2 is needed to exclude the pseudo
> directories "." and "..", though I can't remember if these appear under
> a version of Octave on windows, so perhaps you need to drop the "-2" in
> that case or do something like
>
> len = length(dir())
> if (!ispc())
>  len -= 2;
> endif
>
> D.
>
> len = length

What David wrote is, of course, correct. But the whole approach to
cycle through all
the files in the current directory is better implemented as:

fn = glob("*");    # this could be modified if you need some subset,
e.g. glob("test_2010*.dat")
for ii = 1:rows(fn)
  disp(fn{ii})
  # do whatever you want to do  with fn{ii} file
endfor

Sincerely,

Dmitri.