Re: Constrained non linear regression using ML

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Constrained non linear regression using ML
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:05:20 +0100

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Corrado <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Octave users,
>
> I have to fit the non linear regression:
>
> y~1-exp(-(k0+k1*p1+k2*p2+ .... +kn*pn))
>
> where ki>=0 for each i in [1 .... n] and pi are on R+.
>
> I am using, at the moment, nls, but I would rather use a Maximum
> Likelhood based algorithm. The error is not necessarily normally
> distributed.

You should have an idea of an alternative error distribution, then. Do you?

In any case I'd start from transforming

x = -log1p (-y);

and fitting the linear nonnegative model

x ~ k0 + k1*p1 + ...

as an initial guess. But maybe you already do that? It is even
possible that the error distribution in x will be closer to normal
than in z. If this makes a good initial guess,
expectation-maximization can bring you to the ML estimate with little
effort, but you still need to make a parametrized assumption about the
error distribution.