Re: Stand alone problem: "dlmread" not found

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Stand alone problem: "dlmread" not found
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:34:51 +0100

> > Running the "call.exe" file, the function "dlmread" cannot be found. Can
> > anybody help me to solve this problem?
> > I tried to copy "call.exe" and "speed1.m" to the BIN-folder of the
> octave
> > installation folder. In this case it finds the function "dlmread" and
> works!
> >
> > Thank you for your help,
> > Thomas.
> >

> The difference between a oct-file and a standalone is how to call them.
> You will need the liboctave/libcruft/libinterp libraries to run either
> kind. Windows has this weird thing going on where the it loads whatever
> libraries it can find in the same directory as the executable, so that's
> why copying to bin/ works.

Octave determines its loadpath at startup dynamically. This allows you
to install/copy octave to wherever you like and it will run fine, provided
you leave the internal directory tree intact, i.e. move the whole
installation tree as one unit. That said, the windows version of octave is
relocatable.

The reason octave will find "dlmwrite" if you start your program
from within bin/ of the octave distribution tree is because in this
case the loadpath can correctly be determined.

If you copy the executable somewhere else, octave's loadpath will not
point to useful directories so "dlmwrite" cannot be found.

IIRC the current directory is always part of the loadpath, so you could
copy dlmwrite to the same directory as your executable and it should find
it there.

benjamin