Re: Sharing scripts

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Sharing scripts
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:12:26 +0100

Anderss,

You should keep your replies on the list so that others might profit from the discussion in the future.

Anders Movert wrote:
Hi David,

Thank you for your mail.
I will filter out commands that might be harmful, but I worry if I have
caught them all.
If you have any others that you think I should filter out I am grateful if
you let me know.
Wow, all the dangerous commands, it might be hard too get them all. The ones I mentioned definitely are, and are probably the most obvious... Though the "dos" and "unix" commands are others that would easily allow arbitrary code to be run, though you might have to overload the isunix function to get it to do so. I'd say the "edit" command might be abused, but with your web interface perhaps not. You might be able to you the gnuplot_binary function by setting it to an arbitrary command and then trying to plot something....

The function fopen, fread and family (fputs, fgets, etc) could be used to read and write files to your server, or at these those accessible to your web server. That might however be enough to upload a malicious PHP file and run it.

Something like

x = ones(1024,1024)
for i = 1: 1e6
 save (tmpnam(), x);
end

might be used fill up your disk and so would be an effective DDOS... Those are the ideas I can come up with with a few minutes of thought. The easiest attack though is "system" with a nasty example being

though down run that unless you understand what a fork bomb is and have protected against it on your server. Thinking about it, even

while (true), fork(); end

in octave itself would be just as effective...

Maybe other might be able to think of some attacks that will help you protect your Octave web server.

Cheers
David

Best regards,

Anders