Re: Emacs octave mode: Resetting the comment character(s)?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Emacs octave mode: Resetting the comment character(s)?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:43:44 -0500

On  1-Mar-2010, forkandwait wrote:

| > This sounds like a bug in octave-mode. Can you please provide a sample
| > script to reproduce it?
| >

| In the snippet below, LxSq should flush left, but it lines up with the first
| "%" in the textread string.
|
| ## Get mortality rates, using only the first
| year

| [mYear mAge mx qx ax lx dx Lx Tx ex] = \
|     textread ([data_path
'DATA/POPREF/mortality/lifetables/age5_year_usa.txt'],
| \
|               '%f %s %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f',
| 'headerlines',1);
|               LxSq = reshape(Lx, 24, []);

I think the real problem with the Emacs Octave mode in this case is
that it doesn't handle single quote characters as string delimiters.
Recognizing the single quote character as both a string delimiter and
the transpose operator will require a little bit of work.  It would be
helpful if someone who knows Emacs Lisp and understands Octave syntax
would help out with getting that right.  I know just enough Emacs Lisp
to be dangerous and I don't use single quote characters for string
delimiters, so I'm probably not the right person for the job...

jwe