Re: Memory exaustion or size too large for index

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Memory exaustion or size too large for index
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:22:00 +0100

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Carlo de Falco <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2010, at 14:08, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
>> Ah. So you need the -m64 option for building Octave.
>
> do I need to rebuild also dependecies?
> what if some of them are built without -m64?

I suppose so. Anything that accepts pointers will probably need a
rebuild, which I think is just about anything we use.
Given that the -m64 option affects even sizeof(long), I would deem it
generally unsafe to combine the binaries w/w/o this option.

I see we need an additional check for the case where sizeof(size_t) ==
sizeof(octave_idx_type) and you want to operate on the edge of the
pointer address range. That's going to be dangerous anyway (and I
wouldn't be surprised if something failed) but at least we can give a
proper error here.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer