pcolor and patch

From: RENOO
Subject: pcolor and patch
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:41:16 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

This is my first post here as I am starting using Octave and I must confess
that I am very happy of the quality of this software so far:clap:

However, there is one feature I can not make.

I would like to plot my data using a pcolor and then add a patch to hide a
part of those data.
I assumed that using the contourf command is equivalent at finding the
cordinates of the isoline with the contourc command and then applying the
patch command.

So here is a simple example of my script :

[X,Y,Z] = peaks(50);
pcolor(X,Y,Z); shading flat
hold on
contourf(X,Y,Z,[1 1],'k')

error: patch: property value is missing
error: evaluating if command near line 205, column 3
error: called from `contourf:parse_args' in file
`/usr/share/octave/3.0.5/m/plot/contourf.m'

error: called from `contourf' in file
`/usr/share/octave/3.0.5/m/plot/contourf.m'

So I tried without any properties :
octave:14> contourf(X,Y,Z,[1 1])

error: gnuplot (as of v4.2) only supports 2D filled patches
error: evaluating if command near line 537, column 9

google ( and the message error ) told me it comes from gnuplot backend.

So I tried from this  http://old.nabble.com/FLTK-howto--td27703703.html post

backend("fltk")

and this leads me to the following error message :

octave3.2:3> [X,Y,Z] = peaks(50);
octave3.2:4> pcolor(X,Y,Z); shading flat
octave3.2:5> hold on
octave3.2:6> contourf(X,Y,Z,[1 1],'k')
error: mx_el_lt: nonconformant arguments (op1 is 1x2, op2 is 0x0)
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.2/m/plot/__contour__.m at line 238, column 15
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.2/m/plot/__contour__.m at line 188, column 3
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.2/m/plot/contourf.m at line 73, column 5

I am running octave
octave3.2:6> version
ans = 3.2.2

and I also tried with QtOctave version 0.8.1 which runs octave
octave:13> version
ans = 3.0.5

but in vain.

Any help  ?