Re: Newly created scripts?

From: Mikhail Zotov
Subject: Re: Newly created scripts?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:58:04 +0300

Thank you for the reply, John!

On 2/24/10, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 24-Feb-2010, Mikhail Zotov wrote:
>
> | Hello everybody,
> |
> | I am observing a strange behaviour of Octave-3.2.3 and 3.2.4 with
> | newly created files (i.e. those that do not exist at the moment a
> | script is started). Please, consider the following example:
> I can't duplicate this rpoblem with the current sources, so I guess
> the problem has been fixed in teh development version of Octave.

I have tried the script with Octave-3.3.50 and the behaviour on my
system is the same.  Thus, the problem seems to be on my side (though
I have no idea were to look at ATM: it is reproduced on two systems
with similar setups).

> But what are you really trying to do, and why are you using the diary
> and eval to do it?  Maybe there is a better way to do what you want
> that doesn't rely on such odd tricks.

Well, probably there is a better way :-)  A real script generates data
which is used later. If I save it in a binary file, everything works
(as well as the `testrun' script if one replaces the `diary' commands
with the `save/load' ones). But the script inserts useful comments
while writing data. AFAIK, this is impossible when using `save'.

`eval' is used because names of the newly created files depend on the
names of input files (that are not necessary known beforehand).

Regards,
Mikhail