Re: varargout{:} = func() ?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: varargout{:} = func() ?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:37:14 +0100

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2010, at 08:58AM, "Jaroslav Hajek"
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I tried R007b and R2009a. After some more experiments, it appears that
>>> Matlab assumes nargout = 1. Thus for ...
>>>
>>>        v{:} = func (...)
>>>
>>> The resulting cell is always 1x1.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>>I think this is a Matlab bug and we should not reproduce it.
>>Can you try the following in Matlab?
>>
>>v = cell (3, 1);
>>v{1:3} = 1;
>>
>>s = struct ("x", {1, 2});
>>s.x = 1;
>
> I'm not taking a position on including this *feature*, but because of the
> number of times Mathworks has delibrately implemented a inconsistent
> *feature*, I'm skeptical that this is a bug :-(

Hey, but it may still be a bug, even though they call it feature :-)

>    v = cell (3, 1);
>    v{1:3} = 1
>    ??? The right hand side of this assignment has too few values to satisfy
>     the left hand side.

There we go. In the above case, v{:} should be equivalent to v{1:3}.

> The following works.
>
>    v(1:3) = {1}
>    v =   [1]    [1]    [1]
>
> For your second example,
>
>    s = struct ('x', {1, 2});
>    s.x = 1;
>    ??? Incorrect number of right hand side elements in dot name assignment.
> Missing []
>    around left hand side is a likely cause.

But this is just another flavor of the situation.
I agree with John, this is just a special case that MathWorks didn't
bother to fix. Bug, definitely.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD