Re: varargout{:} = func() ?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: varargout{:} = func() ?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:21:55 -0500

On Wednesday, February 24, 2010, at 08:58AM, "Jaroslav Hajek" <address@hidden>
wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I'd even say this is a bug in Matlab. The LHS expression is obviously
>>> a cs-list with 3 elements, and it is outside multiple assignment, so
>>> it should give an error, like in Octave. This should only work if v is
>>> 1-by-1 (it does in Octave). What version of Matlab did you try?
>>
>> I tried R007b and R2009a. After some more experiments, it appears that
>> Matlab assumes nargout = 1. Thus for ...
>>
>>        v{:} = func (...)
>>
>> The resulting cell is always 1x1.
>>
>> Ben
>>

>I think this is a Matlab bug and we should not reproduce it.
>Can you try the following in Matlab?
>
>v = cell (3, 1);
>v{1:3} = 1;
>
>s = struct ("x", {1, 2});
>s.x = 1;

I'm not taking a position on including this *feature*, but because of the
number of times Mathworks has delibrately implemented a inconsistent *feature*,
I'm skeptical that this is a bug :-(

    v = cell (3, 1);
    v{1:3} = 1
    ??? The right hand side of this assignment has too few values to satisfy
     the left hand side.

The following works.

    v(1:3) = {1}
    v =   [1]    [1]    [1]

For your second example,

    s = struct ('x', {1, 2});
    s.x = 1;
    ??? Incorrect number of right hand side elements in dot name assignment.
Missing []
    around left hand side is a likely cause.

Ben