Re: newbie question

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: newbie question
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:04:41 +0100

Richard Evans wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to Octave, but managed to get it successfully installed and tested it successfully on some plots and small matrix manipulations. I'd like to use 16 bit tif or txt images as matrices and manipulate them in Octave. I'm not sure how to load an image as a matrix in Octave and assign it to a letter name for manipulation. I've ordered John Eaton's book but it won't arrive for a while.... thought I'd ask here so I could get started. I've looked at the html version of the book on the web, but it doesn't seem to directly answer the question. Rick

Rick,

To load 16-bit tiff images you need Octave/graphicsmagick compiled with 16-bit support (quantumdepth set to 16). If not, the 16-bit image is converted to 8-bit on load.

Use

a = imread ("myfile.tif");

to assign image data as a matrix to variable a.

To see the class of the matrix, write

class (a)

Txt-files can be loaded too, using other functions, depending on format. dlmread, csvread, etcetera.

hth,
David