thumb drive install for octave

From: adamspline
Subject: thumb drive install for octave
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:39:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi octave users,

I am very new to Octave, and rather new to Linux.  I am going to be hopping
from computer to computer soon to run some tests.  And I do not have install
privileges on these machines (just my own user account).  Can I still run
octave?  I am hoping I can put octave on a type of thumb drive, and just
launch it up.  But my question is, for Linux (I am using ubuntu) is there a
simple way to setup up octave in a type of directory, so I can just hop on a
machine, copy things to a directory (change permissions if needed) and then
just run octave?  Or is full install necessary?

On my personal computer (which I cannot use for these computations), I was
able to easily install octave on ubuntu using apt - .  But it seems like
these files are spread around my computer and it is a bit confusing where
things are that are necessary.

So, to sum it up, I would like to find a type of minimal required files
necessary to put on thumb disk that I can just dump onto a computer and then
execute octave.  And ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

-Adam