Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:48:44 +0100

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Technically, the ban affects users of Octave, Scilab, Numpy, R, IDL,
>> GDL, Freemat, SAS, SPSS, PSPP, S+, C, C++, Fortran, FORTRAN, etc ad
>> nausium.
>>

> By the way, as a rabid conspiracy theorist, I would point out that
> Mathworks is probably more concerned about Scilab than Octave. Scilab
> is very cozy with industry partners in particular Mathworks'
> arch-enemy National Instruments.

Maybe. I even don't know why MathWorks should be concerned about
Octave at all, given the present state of things. I really doubt that
Octave threatens the Matlab sales. In any case, Scilab seems to aim
for Matlab compatibility to a far lesser extent than Octave.
Last time I tried Scilab was also a bit clumsy with GotoBLAS, much
like NumPy which I needed to patch in order to force it to link to
GotoBLAS. Hopefully things have improved. Yeah the IDE was nice, but
ViM is nicer :)

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer