Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:32:04 -0500

    Authors hostile to GPL and Octave won't help us, so we can as well
    just ignore them.

I disagree.  Whatever they think about the GPL and Octave, they may be
angry at Mathworks for imposing this restriction.  Even a BSD purist
could get angry at this.  So we should not raise the issue of the GPL
here.

(We would not put the GPL on our version of their code unless we had
modified it in major ways.)

    > Newsflash, I bet some Mathworks employees subscribe to
    > address@hidden There is absolutely no secrecy. Did you think
    > Mathworks would not find out about a secondary archive?

I am sure Mathworks will find out.  That is fine -- we have nothing
to be ashamed of.

    I think they will not care about this unless they get complaints from
    the authors themselves. That is why I think it's best to avoid
    attacking MathWorks at all, just provide the fact (the restriction)
    and why we think it matters to us.

Directing ire at Mathworks is the aim; we must not hesitate.