Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:10:55 -0500

I found two examples of script repositories that run on sourceforge.

http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/gmetric/

This appears to be a repository of short single-file scripts for
displaying results from a log analysis program called ganglia. It is
spartan and basically consists of a simple form for uploading a new
contributions and a single table listing all packages. The upside is
that it looks fairly simple to implement. The downside is I don't know
how well it would scale and it lacks some of the enticing "community"
features of FX (ratings, discussions, etc) and not much room is
available for descriptions, etc.

http://www.vim.org/scripts/

This appears to be a larger site with user-contributed scripts to
extend vim. The vim script repository is closer in functionality and
"feel" to FX. Each submission has its own page and submitters have
profile pages. Visitors can rate the submissions and each submission
has a link to a wiki page for extended discussion. The software
running the vim site appears to be called "vimonline" and a sf project
exists at http://vimonline.sourceforge.net/

The code for the site and instructions descriptions are available
inside the sourceforge CVS repository. vimonline is indexed in
sourceforge as GPL licensed, but I haven't found a license statement
within the source code tree itself.

--judd