Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:03:15 +0100

On 15 Feb 2010, at 08:13, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

Here's a plan: we'll setup a simple hosting place. I think we can use
OctaveForge. Then we start browsing the contributions that are usable
in Octave, and email their authors, warning them about the restriction
imposed by MathWorks on the BSD license and asking them to provide us
with a copy of their software (under a free license of their choice),
so that it will be available also for Octave authors.

I would be willing to help with this project.
I know of at least one package on OF (nurbs) which started as a fork of a project originally distributed via the MFX under a free sw license. I see that now the nurbs package is no longer on MFX, probably because the authors did not agree to change the license (or were unreachable). Since the fork, I have been developing a lot of octave code depending on the nurbs package which has been used to publish at least one research paper. This would have not been possible if I were
to comply to the new ToS of MFX.
c.