Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:52:37 +0100

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 2/13/10, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>> But that does not mean that what Mathworks did was not
>> harmful.  If
>> Mathworks tried to push people in a certain direction, and
>> succeeded,
>> it is responsible for having done so.  The fact that
>> they had a way to
>> resist going where Mathworks wanted to push them does mean
>> they share
>> the responsibility, but it does not make Mathworks
>> blameless.
>>
> [snip]
>
> No, what Mathworks did wasn't harmful.

That depends on how you define harmful. It was a classical example of
the "we limit your choice in order to make things simpler for you"
approach, which is not uncommon amongst proprietary software vendors.
Of course, if you don't want things simpler in the first place, this
is a no-win situation for you. And apparently such people indeed
exist. But I guess "harmful" is too strong, because the remedy is
trivial and there are many alternatives for hosting free software.

> From my observations BSD folks are
> less ideologically vocal - which may be good for the(ir) community.

Maybe, but from my observations they're vocal a lot about how GPL is
bad and BSD is better. counter++;

> The most silent folks are the ones who offer their code under WTF license
> :).

Silent!? But what's the point of writing cool software if I can't
boast about how a great good I made for the mankind? How am I supposed
to impress girls? ;)

If someone is interested enough to actually negotiate it with MW, I
think we would gladly host the orphaned GPL'ed software from MW site
at OctaveForge.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD