Processing Large Memory arrays in Octave under WinXP 32bit

From: Journeaux, Ian
Subject: Processing Large Memory arrays in Octave under WinXP 32bit
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:41:33 -0600

I am new to Octave (and MatLab for that matter) and I am trying to evaluate if I can use Octave for a project on a WinXP Pro 32-bit system. I seem to be running out of memory  when I try to run a m-file.

To simplify the troubleshooting I reduced the problem down to

a(3000,3000) = 0;

b=imrotate(a,5);

this gives an error: memory exhausted. I have 2.6Gb for physical memory.

Do I have any options? It would be easier for me to stay with the XP 32bit platform but XP 64-bit or Unix are possibilities.

Ian Journeaux

Manager – Process Technology

NewPage Research

300 North Biron Drive

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin   54495-8050

Phone:             (715) 422-2203

Cell:                 (715) 213-6508

Fax:                  (715) 422-2227

E-Mail: address@hidden

This electronic message contains information from NewPage Corporation or subsidiary companies,
which may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named. If you are not an intended recipient, be
aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its
contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify NewPage
immediately at address@hidden