Re: [OT]: Mathworks fighting the GPL

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: [OT]: Mathworks fighting the GPL
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:14:58 +0100

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Apologies for the offtopic chatter, but I just noticed this as I was
trying to look for Emacs's Matlab mode to see if I could get some
ideas for Octave mode. It appears that the Mathworks only allows the
BSD license on their servers now, which affects much free software
under other licenses (in particular GPL) that they were hosting.

It's difficult to find exactly what happened and how because they seem
to have spread the word about this relatively secretly by email to
people with code on their servers, but they do have a FAQ:

     http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/FX_transition_faq.html

This happened July last year.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm deeply disturbed that
Mathworks is now actively fighting against copyleft.

- Jordi G. H.

The permissive licensing is bad for the contributor to the benefit of Mathworks (or anyone else making proprietary software). People should decline using matlabcentral, it's in their own interest. This draws to memory the X Consortium, which demanded permissive licensing from it's contributors so that the software could be restricted at will.

David