Re: Octave with FLTK backend on Mac OS X?

From: Liam Groener
Subject: Re: Octave with FLTK backend on Mac OS X?
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:01:30 -0800

On Feb 9, 2010, at 12:12 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

Dear all

I'd like to try the FLTK backend on my Mac OS X box. I currently use
the Octave version from MacPorts, which does not include the FLTK
backend (for reasons I do not really understand). What are my options?

You can download the prebuilt Octave.app from
Octave-Forge
It has the fltk backend. Octave.app is a Apple package that is launched by double-clicking on its icon. So that I can launch it by typing octave into a terminal window, I wrote a script titled 'octave' that contains the line:
/Applications/octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave

If you are on Snow Leopard, by default, MacPorts now compiles 64 bit dependency libraries. This leaves me in a bit of a quandary because I'm afraid of breaking one or more apps by downloading new packages in either 64 bit or 32 bit varieties.

Liam G.