Fortran issue when trying to compile octave

From: Bigler Stéphane
Subject: Fortran issue when trying to compile octave
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:25:50 +0100

Dear members,

I try to compile octave to have make it usable for Slitaz users (a really nice
light linux based).

I have gcc installed and gfortran (I thougth it was needed but not sure).

I am faced to the following message when running:
$./configure
checking for gfortran... gfortran
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether gfortran accepts -g... no
checking how to get verbose linking output from gfortran... configure: WARNING:
compilation failed

checking for Fortran 77 libraries of gfortran...
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... configure: error: in
`/home/sbigler/Téléchargements/octave-3.2.4':
configure: error: cannot compile a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.
$

Here is a portion of config.log saying:
configure:10008: checking for Fortran 77 libraries of gfortran
configure:10031: gfortran -o conftest -O conftest.f -lm
/usr/local/gfortran/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.0/f951: error while
file or directory

Obviously, libmpc.so.2 is missing. And I found that this library is apparently
supplied by:
http://www.multiprecision.org/

Could anyone give me advices on how to make running octave?

Thank you for helping
Stéphane