Re: Licensing of Octave Scripts

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Licensing of Octave Scripts
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:07:40 +0100

Judd Storrs skrev:
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Trevor Law <address@hidden> wrote:
My name is Trevor Law and I'm looking to find out whether or not
Octave scripts that I might share must be released under the GPL.
Although I don't need them to be proprietary, the GPL is confusing for
a non-lawyer, and seems to require that I post the Octave source code
along with any script I post online, which seems unnecessarily
cumbersome.

If you're having trouble understanding the GPL and its implications,
another option is to release your scripts under a simpler license that
is GPL-compatible such as the Modified BSD or MIT licenses. Even if
the entire work as a whole must be GPL, individual files and
components are only required to be GPL-compatible.

The Apache license is the preferred permissive license these days. Much better developer protection. Still, I think it would be better to license it under GPLv3+. The Apache, BSD or MIT licenses are permissive, they make it possible to create proprietary software out of free software. Which of course doesn't benefit the original contributor at all.

David