Re: Octave User Interface

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave User Interface
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:55:15 -0600

2010/2/4 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> On 3 February 2010 22:10, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>I also enjoy having the command history so I can make a selection of
>>previously executed commands and execute them as a block. Now, there
>>may be a way of doing a lot of these things from the command line,
>
> There is.

I'm sorry, in my preaching, I missed the part where you said "as a
block". You can do this too, but perhaps not as easily. You isearch
back to the first entry in the block. You kill the line (C-x
<backspace>). C-n to go to the next line, and adding separators if
necessary, you yank into this line at the beginning (C-a C-y C-a C-k),
and you repeat this for as many lines as necessary. You can of course
record the C-a C-y  C-a C-k sequence as a macro, or even put it in
your readline init file.

You may argue this is complicated, and it's admittedly not easily
discoverable... but now I'm glad you made me go look and discover
this, because I started using it for some readline editing, and I've
come to love it.

The initial work it took to figure this out becomes less work later on
and my curiosity turned into a learning experience. :-)