Re: namespace support?

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: namespace support?
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:14:47 +0100

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Or as a newfangled handle class (i.e., one of those object things
>> defined with classpath, which Octave does not yet have, and probably
>> will not have for quite some time unless someone comes along and works
>> on it)?  But then again, don't those things appear to be somehow
>> related to Java or even thinly disguised Java objects?
>
> That's what I meant. It looks like a Java class containing
> static methods.
>
> Michael.

I made a test in matlab with the option -nojvm and I can still access
the netcdf functions. It seems that the namespace functionality is not
only for java objects.

The matlab's netcdf interface is very close to the C netcdf library
(whereas the netcdf java inferface is at a higher level). I think it
would be preferable to implement the wrapper function for octave
directly in C++ (without java).

The syntax "netcdf.function_call" could be simulated by creating a
netcdf object with a subsref dispatching to the appropriate function
call. However the netcdf namespace cannot be imported and this is not
a very elegant solution.

Any better solution?

Cheers,
Alex