Re: Octave just hangs - no crash

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Octave just hangs - no crash
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:30:57 +0100

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi there,

I have a problem with octave. I have a script which works on 480x580 grayscale pictures.

I have ~1000 of them. So I run the script over night. It often happens that octave just hangs when I come back in the morning.

Today it was with the 580th run but this is just random - sometimes it also succeeds without any problem.

I doubt that there is a problem with the script - but maybe some memory problem?

There's a zillion of possible causes.

How can I start to diagnose the problem? There is no warning or error message. Strg+C doesn't work - so I can just close the command window.

You always need to start with something reproducible and simple enough. Try to record all relevant variables prior to each processing, or even at some checkpoints during it, maybe you'll discover an input set that can reproduce the crash.
It could also help if you shared your script and data (or some other data if it's private) so that others may try.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer