mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night termi

From: Paul McDonald
Subject: mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night terminator plot)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:18:10 -0800 (PST)

I want to plot a Mercator projection of earth with country outlines. I eventually want to
plot the day/sunrise/dusk/night terminator line.

I checked the following:
1) Octave postings on nabble.com, and
2) http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.2/world2.html (I couldn't get plot to work) and
3) http://www2.fct.unesp.br/dcartog/galo/gnuplot/gnu_exemplos1.htm
4) World Bank country data online.
with nothing close to what I wanted.

I'm sure this must have been done before (or something like this before)
and I'd prefer not to re-invent the wheel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Bonus if there's code (or equations) that plots the day/sunrise/dusk/night terminator.

Thanks in advance,
Paul