Re: Finding out the optimizations used by Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Finding out the optimizations used by Octave
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:53:42 -0500

On 23-Jan-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM, George <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > The -g option generates a debug build, right? Why would Debian
| > distribute a debug build?
|
| Good question. These flags are default, so probably they just didn't
| change them. I'd suggest you ask the package maintainer.

I would recommend always compiling with debug flags, that way if there
is a bug that causes Octave to crash you can at least find out where
the crash occurs, and get some useful information about what was going
on at the time of the crash.  It only requires some extra disk space.

But in any case, I think the Debian package building rules also strip
the resulting binaries, so the symbols are gone from Debian packages
anyway.

jwe