Re: long pause before exiting

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: long pause before exiting
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:44:13 -0500

On 01/21/2010 02:47 AM, Hwanjo Heo wrote:

I'm using Octave to solve multiple automatically generate equations from my
perl scripts.

The problem is that solving a simple equation takes more than 15 seconds and I
suspect the major delay is
contributed by a long pause exiting Octave. There is a significant delay between
outputing "info = 1" and
quitting Octave. Even launching Octave and quitting it immediately using the
quit command takes more than
15 seconds because of the long pause after commanding quit.

Is this normal? Can I accelerate the quitting process in some ways?

Octave startup and teardown does a lot of housekeeping: cataloging all the library directories, reading and executing the config files, and then writing out the session history files etc. On my Octave installation, most time is spent on startup, cataloging the libraries.
This can be avoided by octave --no-init-path, but you get a crippled
Octave that doesn't know about its own important script libraries.
You could use 'strace' to see where it spends the time, and see if
you can avoid that part by changing your setup or running octave
with some command-line options, but I don't think this is the right way.

I suggest that you use one of the approaches where Octave is once run as
a subprocess, and you pass multiple commands to it. A simple way is
to run it in a pipe as 'octave -q'