Re: Really Long Command Prompt

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Really Long Command Prompt
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:08:52 -0500

On 19-Jan-2010, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

| This is frequently asked.
|
| The below is one of the examples.
|
| Please search your home directry by
| octave:5> tilde_expand ('~')
| ans = D:\usr\Tatsu
|
| In the above example (my case), I made '.octaverc' in D:\usr\Tatsu
|  and edit it by a suitable text editor (you can use notepad++ in octave for
windows.)
| as
|
| #begining of .octaverc
| #
| PS1("octave:\\#> ");
|
| # end of .octaverc

What is the default for PS1 in the Windows build of Octave that is
distributed on the Octave Forge site?

The default in the Octave sources is "\\s:\\#> ", and looking at the
code in cmd-edit.cc that decodes prompt strings, this should take the
full name of the program that is executed and trim off all but the
last component of the file name, so you should be left with something
like

  octave.exe:1>

If the default has been changed for the Windows binary on Octave
Forge, why was that done?

If the default is being used and the code that shortens the full file
name is not working properly, then could someone please debug the
problem?

Thanks,

jwe