Re: legends in FLTK backend?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: legends in FLTK backend?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:53:41 +0000

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I started to play with a multi-objective genetic optimization
> algorithm in Octave, and used plots to animate the progress of the
> algorithm. The animation was smooth enough with Gnuplot but still a
> little snatchy, so I switched to the fltk backend and to my surprise
> it was much smoother still, without any flickering or blinking. Many
> thanks for the work! I think I'll try to use fltk more often from now.
>
> I noticed that legends still don't work. Is there any way I can help?
> My OpenGL knowledge is essentially zero, so that probably limits the
> options.
> Still, if someone explained to me what needs to be done, perhaps I
> could be of some use. I tried to search the archives but found nothing
> useful.

The problem of the missing legend is not really OpenGL related.
If one succeeds to represent legend as a regular axes object
containing line and text objects (which is what Matlab does), then
you'll have legends automatically drawn in the OpenGL backend.

The tricky part is to size and locate things properly, and maybe
add some dynamism to be sure that the legend object stays properly
located if the target axes object is moved around.

But basically, the entire implementation has to happen in the front-end.

Michael.