Gnuplot hangs on Windows XP

From: tim ceretti
Subject: Gnuplot hangs on Windows XP
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 02:36:06 +0000

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem that is described in the thread below - gnuplot hangs when I try to do a plot in Octave. I can reproduce the problem every time.

I'm using Windows XP, Version 51. (Build 2600.xsp_sp2_gdr.090804-1412: Service Pack 2) and Octave version 3.2.3 configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".

When I try the following commands in Octave then gnuplot plots the plot and then just hangs (using 0% cpu). The plot is unresponsive to cursor input and when I close the plot (by clicking on the "x" to close the window) then I am unable to generate any further plots in Octave (subsequent calls to plot(x,y) don't do anything - other than hanging octave).

The sample code is:

x = 0:0.1:3;
y = exp(x);
plot(x, y);

The threads that I see running in gnuplot when gnuplot is unresponsive are:
!CreateThread+0x2e
!CreateThread+0x22
ntdll.dll!RtlConvertUiListToApiList+0x273
ntdll.dll!RtlConvertUiListToApiList+0x273

The stack traces for these threads are:

!CreateThread+0x2e
ntoskrnl.exe+0x4856
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlAppendUnicodeToString+0x2b8
ntoskrnl.exe!CcSetDirtyPinnedData+0x3f0
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlRemoveUnicodePrefix+0x8a2
ntoskrnl.exe!IoCheckFunctionAccess+0x5934
ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb78
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
!DllMain+0xe4a
!DllMain+0x4ed
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x24
ntdll.dll!LdrFindResourceDirectory_U+0x28d
ntdll.dll!RtlValidateUnicodeString+0x507
ntdll.dll!LdrLoadDll+0x110
!LoadLibraryExW+0xc8
!CallMsgFilterW+0x24f
ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x13
!TF_DllDetachInOther+0x1277
!UnhookWinEvent+0x77
!EnableMenuItem+0x6f
!GetOpenClipboardWindow+0x37
ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x13
!PeekMessageA+0xfb
!RegisterWaitForInputIdle+0x49

!CreateThread+0x22
ntoskrnl.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x206
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlAppendUnicodeToString+0x2b8
ntoskrnl.exe!CcSetDirtyPinnedData+0x3f0
ntoskrnl.exe!PsCreateSystemThread+0x136
ntoskrnl.exe!FsRtlIncrementCcFastReadWait+0xd1
ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb78
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
!putch+0xad
!read+0x57
!filbuf+0x53
!fputws+0x130
!fread+0x2a
!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1ba

ntdll.dll!RtlConvertUiListToApiList+0x273
ntoskrnl.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x206
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlAppendUnicodeToString+0x2b8
ntoskrnl.exe!CcSetDirtyPinnedData+0x3f0
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x94
ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb78
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
ntdll.dll!RtlEnterCriticalSection+0x46
ntdll.dll!KiUserApcDispatcher+0x7

and

ntdll.dll!RtlConvertUiListToApiList+0x273
ntoskrnl.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x206
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x94
ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb78
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
ntdll.dll!RtlEnterCriticalSection+0x46
ntdll.dll!KiUserApcDispatcher+0x7

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gnuplot hangs on Windows XP

Michael Goffioul michael.goffioul at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 03:12:42 CST 2009

Neither do I. Everything works fine for me. That's why it's
difficult to help or make suggestions, as long as I'm not able
to reproduce your problem. Would you have maybe another
XP box around where you could check whether the problem
is also present?

Michael.