Re: `pkg unload' with dependencies

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: `pkg unload' with dependencies
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:40:59 -0500

On  5-Jan-2010, Muhali wrote:

| John W. Eaton-3 wrote:
| >
| > I would expect loading a package to also load required dependencies.
| > But I would not expect unloading to unload dependencies since other
| > packages might also depend on them.
| >

| but these other packages then depend on the - now broken - package (foo),
| no?

Sorry, I misread your message.  Yes, I agree that we should track
dependencies so that packages with dependencies are not unloaded
unless the other packages are unloaded first.  So, should unloading a
package force its dependencies to be unloaded, or just give an error
that it can't be unloaded because there are dependencies that are also
loaded.  The message could give you the list of loaded packages, so
you could decide what to do.  Would someone like to propose a patch
for that?

jwe