Re: tic toc

From: John Reed
Subject: Re: tic toc
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:24:01 -0800

sure i'd be happy to

On  5-Jan-2010, John Reed wrote:

| Thank you for the explanation.  Since Octave is making system calls
| to get the timing info it sounds like any bugs would be elsewhere in
| my system rather than within Octave.
|
| Some system information:
|
| running on XP service pack 2
|
| it has intel core 2 duo processors (2.2 GHz)
|
| and it uses visual C++ 2005.
|
| Should I still report this issue to address@hidden even though the
| bug appears to be in Windows?  If it would be useful I will go ahead
| and report it.

OK, for Windows systems, we do some translation from the Windows
system calls to POSIX interfaces.  In that case, maybe there is
something we are not doing correctly that causes the error.  I also
see that we could simplify the code in Octave somewhat by using some
additional modules from gnulib, and that the way the gnulib functions
do the job is different from what is currently done in Octave.  So
first I think I will switch to using the gnulib modules.  But I have
no way of testing these changes on a Windows system.  Once I make the
changes, can you help by compiling Octave with the patch and seeing if
it solves the problems for you?

jwe