Re: Tools for creating a GUI?

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Tools for creating a GUI?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:02:52 +0100

Matthias May skrev:
Hi!

I am writing some scripts for data analysis in Octave 3.2 on a Linux machine.
Octave is really cool, but there is one thing I am still looking for: Is there
any way to create a graphical user interface? Just some buttons to invoke
functions and stuff. Okay, there is octave-zenity, but that only gives me some
dialogues. There is also a project 'octave-gtk', but here the last update was
in 2008.

Thanks for the help!
Matthias

I've used PyGTK and Pytave (the latter I've written parts of) to create GUI frontends in Python, calling Octave and presenting results. It's very flexible. Remember you get all the power of GTK+ this way; the Glade-3 GUI editor, XML GUI definitions and so on. Never mind the fact that you get to use Python and Octave side by side, each in the context where they excel.

hth (and shamelessly promote his own projects)
David