Re: Divergence from Solving functional nonlinear equation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Divergence from Solving functional nonlinear equation
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:43:47 -0600

On 29-Dec-2009, Jason Martin wrote:

|      Thanks!  I didn't know that little trick.  I will still recompile
| for my windows due to the fact that I am running on a 64-bit system and
| the version I have installed at the moment is for the 32-bit system of
| Windows.  That is my main driving force for recompiling on my system.

I don't think that will matter much either as Octave is by default a
32-bit application.

Were you expecting to get something different if you build it for
yourself on your 64-bit hardware?  That won't happen unless you
use the --enable-64 option for Octave's configure script.

It is not trivial to build Octave to take advantage of 64-bit indexing
and allow manipulation of large arrays, primarily because many of the
dependencies also need special treatment to handle 64-bit indexing in
a way that is compatible with what Octave expects when using --enable-64.

Also, there is no real benefit to building Octave this way unless you
really plan to create large arrays (> 2GB) and you have a large amount
of memory.  For example, if you plan to do more than a few trivial
operations with a 2GB array, you will probably need more than 8GB of
memory because Octave generates temporary copies for many operations.

I'm not trying to discourage you from building Octave on your own, but
I would not expect any big difference in performance if you do.

jwe