Re: Octave hangs forever trying to invert singular matrix

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Octave hangs forever trying to invert singular matrix
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:02:36 +0100

On 22 Dec 2009, at 22:23, David Bateman wrote:

Vic Norton wrote:
I don't see how any numerical routine can give you a reasonable answer.
This is a 0/0 problem.

Giving an unreasonable answer is ok, hanging isn't... This is hanging in
the CXSparse QR code I presume, but as I was working (admitted very
slowly) on converting this to use the SPQR code from SuiteSparse, I
don't think I can be bothered trying to fix this. SPQR is much faster
and allows a 2-norm solution that is consist with the same case for a
full matrix,
I just checked and noticed that
full (A)\ones(480,1)
behaves exactly as in matlab so indeed the problem is limited to sparse matrices. As I don't think I have the skills to help you with SPQR I'll patiently wait until your work is done.
Thanks!

D.
c.