Re: Graphical Plotting Help Needed for Windows...

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Graphical Plotting Help Needed for Windows...
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:55:16 -0500

On Dec 21, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Jason Martin wrote:

> Good afternoon list,
>
> Please forgive me this one time error should this have been asked
> before, or this is in the wrong list.  If it is both, then I guess I am
> screwed. o.0
>
> I am trying to figure out how to get clearer plots out of Octave.  I am
> using this m-file{http://www.thumbprintpro.com/math/fib.m}, and it is
> giving me the following output:
> http://www.thumbprintpro.com/math/OctaveOutPut.png .  While this is
> adequate, it is difficult to see that this is a 3d image, and compared
> to this output from Matlab,
> http://www.thumbprintpro.com/math/MatlabOutPut.png, it is easy to see my
> frustration.  I am trying to relieve my stress of having to log into my
> schools slow remote desktops and do all of my math computations through
> Octave, but the output is of such quality that I cannot insert that into
> a report.  Also, it took 15 minutes to generate that image where Matlab
> took 15 seconds.  I have been looking online for a replacement plotter
> for use with Octave, but nothing I have found yet is working with
> Windows.  It could just be that I lack the necessary skills to compile
> some of these packages, or the knowledge of how to insert them into
> Octave, I am unsure.  Can someone point me in the right direction to
> getting opengl plots for Octave under Windows?
>
> Jason

I expect the difference in speed difference is largely due to octave writing a
file that gnuplot must then read.

The difference between the Matlab and Octave figures is also primarily due to
gnuplot.

I'm not a window's user, so I'm not sure it will work for you, but you can try
the jhandles package.

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/jhandles/index.html

Some isosurface examples are below.

        http://www.mhelm.de/octave/#is